Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easy Peasy Blueberry Pie

A good pie is something in my arsenal of recipes that I feel the need to perfect.  Like, I want to be known as the lady that makes a mean pie.  You know, the lady that when a potluck is coming is coming up and everyone hopes that she brings her "famous pie."  Yep, pretty sure it is one of my life ambitions to be that lady.

This pie is not perfect, but it's pretty good.  I would be more inclined to brag about it if I made the crust from scratch, but I did not.  Therefore I am not entitled to brag.  I am probably not entitled to be that pie lady until I have perfected a homemade crust.  Guess I'll just stick with being the lady that makes the somewhat decent pie but did you know she uses a *gasp* pre-made pie crust.  Plus if this recipe included a homemade pie crust, then it wouldn't be easy-peasy, and most of you would probably run far far away.

Blueberry Pie

1 package refrigerated pie crusts (top and bottom)*
6 cups fresh (or frozen, thawed and drained) blueberries
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 stevia, 1/2 pure cane sugar)
1/4 packed brown sugar
Drizzle of agave syrup (this isn't necessary, but I just love agave)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca (don't actually cook it)
1 Tb. fresh lemon juice
2 Tb. butter, cut up
Extra sugar for dusting

Remove pie crusts from box and let sit on counter for about 20 min or until they have reached room temperature.  Carefully unroll one crust and lay it over a 9-in. pie plate, pressing sides and bottom to line plate.  Trim any excess crust.  In a large bowl stir together white and brown sugars, cinnamon, cinnamon and agave (if using) until combined.  Toss in lemon juice and blueberries and mix well.  Set aside for 20 minutes.  Go ahead and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Once the blueberries have "soaked" spoon them in to the pie crust.  Dot with butter.  Carefully unroll the other pie crust and place on top of blueberries.  Fold edges under plate and flute however you wish.  Cut several slits in top crust and sprinkle with a couple Tbsps. of sugar.  Bake for 45-50 min. until nice and bubbly. 

* I am very partial to the Immaculate Baking Co. pie crusts, or that whole brand in general.  Good stuff.


** I like to use a little of the excess dough (from when you trimmed the bottom crust) and cut a heart (with a cookie cutter) to place in the middle, just to make it pretty (and to hopefully overt one's eyes from my terrible fluting job). 
*** Always check the pie around 40 min. into baking to make sure the crust isn't getting too brown.  If it is (which will more than likely be the case), cover the top with foil and continue baking.
**** You can use whatever fruit you like.  Just use 6 cups (chopped if the pieces are large).  Note that 6 cups of fruit will make a pretty deep dish pie.



Maybe one these times I'll be able to get a picture before Matt and I dig in:)

No comments:

Post a Comment