Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Favorite Banana Bread

I've tried many different recipes for banana bread...full fat, low fat, vegan, sugar free, you name it.  If I see a new recipe, I try it.  This is my favorite one.  It is so moist and full of flavor, but low in fat and sugar.  I love the addition of the chocolate chips, but of course you could leave those out.  Seriously though, why would you do that?!

My Fave Banana Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl beat the following together:
3 ripe bananas, mashed*
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (vegan versions work well)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce**
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I use Stevia)
2 eggs (I use an egg sub)
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, stir together the following:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking soda + another 1/4 tsp

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Do not over mix!  Gently stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I like the non-dairy ones).  Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.  Place in preheated oven and bake for about an hour.  Do the toothpick test to check for doneness.  Let cool on wire rack, but cut you a little piece because it's amazing right out of the oven:)

* As soon as a banana gets a little too ripe, I pop it in the freezer.  I always have frozen bananas in there.  They are great for smoothies and banana recipes like this...just let them thaw on the counter for 15 minutes or so.
** The applesauce is really a sub for oil.  The difference in using the 2 is that the oil makes the bread more fluffy and drier and the applesauce makes it more dense and moist.  Obviously I use the applesauce because it pretty much eliminates all fat in the recipe, but if you prefer oil, use 1/2 cup.

1 comment: