Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Key Lime Pound Cake

DISCLAIMER: I tweaked this Southern Living recipe to make it vegan friendly.  I thought it was good.  Matt said it "tasted vegan."  Not entirely sure what that means, but I guess if you are used to your pound cake with loads of butter, eggs and cream, you may also think this "tastes vegan."  I encourage you to venture out and try it a'la vegan, but I will give you the regular SL version and put my subs in parenthesis.

Key Lime Pound Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 cup shortening (I used Earth Balance)
3 cups (yikes!) sugar (I used 1/2 cup agave syrup and 1 cup stevia)
6 eggs (I used an egg replacer in an amt. equivalent to 6 eggs)
3 cups flour (I always use white whole wheat flour and think it is the best)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup milk (hemp milk was used here)
1 tsp. lime zest
1/3 cup Key lime juice
1 tsp. vanilla

Key lime glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tb. Key lime juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly grease and flour a 10 in. tube pan.  In a heavy stand mixer, cream together butter and shortening until fluffy.  Gradually add in sugar and continue to beat until all blended and smooth.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.  In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.  Alternating with milk, add flour mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour (don't know why recipes always say to start and end this way, but I'm not one to take chances, so I just do it).  Stir in lime zest, lime juice and vanilla.  Pour batter into tube pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 min (start checking for doneness at an hour with a long wooden toothpick).  Cool on a wire rack for 15 min.  Remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.  Prepare Key lime glaze.  Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.  It's good with a little vanilla icecream on the side:)

We ate this up pretty fast while my parents were here so I didn't get a picture, but here's the one from Southern Living...

No comments:

Post a Comment