Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

My favorite recipes are ones that remind me of childhood...things my mom used to make a lot.  Sloppy joes are nostalgic for me.  This was one childhood staple that I had to figure out a veggie substitution for.  I like to sing that Adam Sandler song "Lunch Lady Land" while I am making them..."sloppy joes, slop, sloppy joes..."  (Don't pretend you're not singing this to yourself right now).

I've tried several variations, but I think this is my favorite.  It is slightly adapted from my Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook, once again.  This should make 5-6 servings.

Veggie Sloppy Joes

1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup dried lentils
2 Tb. olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, grated
1/2 cup seitan*, finely chopped
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
2 Tb. tamarin or soy sauce
1 Tb. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Whole wheat buns

In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.  Add the lentils, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Let simmer for 30 minutes.  In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard; set aside.  In a large skillet add the oil and heat over medium heat.  Add onion, bell pepper and carrots and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add the seitan and saute for a couple more minutes.  Drain the lentils (save the cooking liquid in case you need it) and add to the skillet.  Mix in the tomato sauce and stir everything until all combined and heated thoroughly.  Season with S&P.  If it seems a little on the dry side, you can use some of the reserved lentil juice.  Keep warm over LOW heat until ready to serve.  Spoon over toasted buns.  Put your bib on and get sloppy.  These are good served with baked french fries and fresh corn.

Tips:
* Seitan is a protein made from wheat gluten.  It is tasty and makes a good meat substitute.  It's usually in the refrigerated section by the tofu.  I usually get the Westsoy brand.  I love it in saucy dishes like this one.  You could certainly just use soy crumbles (Boca or Morningstar) if seitan weirds you out.  Just heat the crumbles according to package directions and use just like you would use ground beef.
** You can add or sub other chopped veggies.  I have used corn, mushrooms, broccoli, whatever I may have on hand.  The above combo is probably my favorite though.

No comments:

Post a Comment