Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Favorite Veggie Chili

This is hands down my favorite chili recipe.  Although I feel like it's a little different every time I make it, it's always good!  I may vary the veggies depending on what I have on hand and what's in season at the market, but this is the basic recipe I follow.  You may be skeptical of chili without meat, but I promise you won't miss it with all this other goodness.  Sometimes if Matt is wanting some "meat" in his chili, I'll add a cup or so of Boca crumbles.  The best part about this meal, it's done in the crock pot...a great fix-it-and-forget meal!

Veggie Chili

1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen edamame
2 heaping Tbs. minced garlic
20 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
28 oz. can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
15 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 packet chili seasoning mix
1/2 Tbs. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
Salt/pepper to taste

Just mix everything in a large crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  That's it!  I like to eat mine with warm cornbread.  Matt likes his with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.  It's good both ways:)

No comments:

Post a Comment