Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cake Batter Blondies

Ok, now this recipe is a must make.  Like, you will want to eat the entire pan in one sitting.  Try and refrain yourself though.  Or don't.  I actually had several blog friends post this recipe, so I figured it had to be pretty good...and it is.  They are pretty rich, but I did sub some of the ingredients to make them a little more waist friendly.

Cake Batter Blondies
adapted from here

Ingredients
1 box cake mix*
1/4 cup oil (I used applesauce)
1 egg (I used an egg sub)
1/2 cup milk (I used almond)
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Extra rainbow sprinkles for top
Frosting*** (store bought or homemade)

Directions
Combine the cake mix, egg and oil in a large bowl and mix well.  Slowly add the milk until you have a pretty thick batter.**  Mix in the sprinkles and white chocolate chips.  Scoop the batter in to a 9x9 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam.  Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  You want them to be a little gooey in the middle.  Remove pan from oven and let it sit on a wire rack for 30 minutes or so (or eat them warm if you aren't going to frost).  Once cooled, frost.  Sprinkle the extra sprinkles on top.

* The original recipe actually calls for Funfetti cake mix, which I have also used, and it's good, but I just prefer to use the Cherrybrook Kitchen brand because it's gluten and dairy free.  Their yellow cake mix is my favorite for pretty much any cake recipe!
** This should be a pretty dense batter.  You want to be able to stir it, but it shouldn't be to the point where it would just pour out of the bowl. 
*** You can use however much frosting you like, and in whatever flavor you prefer.  Since the bars themselves are pretty rich, I personally like just a very thin layer of frosting.  I cheated and just used a container of whipped strawberry frosting.

Image from here

2 comments:

  1. oooo these looks delish. super glad I found your blog. totally following. love if you'd check out my blog. it's about the adventures of a former Alabama girl taking on the fashion world in LA. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete