Food is an important part of a balanced diet. ~Fran Lebowitz

Friday, February 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones


These are so yummy...just like everything from Gina over at Skinny Taste.  I seriously love her blog and cooking style.

"Skinny" Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones (via Skinny Taste)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cold low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 stevia, 1/2 regular)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg (I used egg sub)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tb cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tb sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375° and spray baking sheet with Pam.  Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Set aside.

Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Cut in chilled butter with a pastry cutter (I do not have a fancy pastry cutter, so I used 2 knives and it worked fine), until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture to dry mix, stirring just until moist.

Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly with floured hands.  Form dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 10-12 wedges all the way through.

Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle with 2 Tb of sugar.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, until nice and golden.  Serve warm and try not to eat them all in one sitting.  They are soooo good with a cup of coffee.

We ate them all before I could get a picture:)  This is the pic from Skinny Taste.

Tips:
* When the ingredient says "cold" (the butter and buttermilk), make sure it is nice and cold.  This helps hold the dough together.
* The buttermilk makes a difference, so I did not make these dairy free (anyone know if there is even a "soy" buttermilk out there??).  I did, however, use Earth Balance for the butter and my chocolate chips were dairy free.  The minimal amount of buttermilk did not seem to upset my stomach too much.
* I am kind of a chocolate chip snob.  I like the Ghirardelli Mini Semi-Sweet Chips
* I debated about going straight whole wheat flour, but I think the mix of white and wheat gives them a nice texture, while still adding some fiber.  All wheat flour may cause them to be too dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment